June 13, 2007

Floods. FLOODS! What nonsense!

A friend from back home has brought to my attention, the catastrophe that hit my beloved capitol city, Kuala Lumpur. Apparently, flash floods has struck in the heart of the country itself.

It is rather despairing for someone like me, a foreign exchange student who has been working hard to despell the notion that we Malaysians live on trees, are able to communicate with monkeys, and survive through subsistance farming, when suddenly in the middle of summer here, news arrives that the bloody CAPITOL city is flooded in waist high muddy water. I look like a fool now for saying all those nice things about home.

This miracle happened despite the SMART tunnel, the first tunnel in the world which also acts as a water channeler. The very same tunnel that cost 1.8 billion to build! As it turns out, the world's longest and biggest drainpipe is only good at flushing our money away. SMART tunnel. Pah! It should be renamed Terowong INCOMPETENT.

Am I surprised? Not really. We Malaysians were never good at engineering. The symbol of Malaysia, the twin towers, were designed by Dawid Tadeusz Mauno a Norwegian and built by the South Koreans and the Japanese. We tried to destroy and replace half a bridge at sea. Replace it, with a curved one no less! Any ordinary engineer would say, "building half a bridge is stupid," and he/she would be right.

Don't believe our hopelessness? How about this; despite owning Lotus Cars for 11 years now, Proton can't even get its electric windows to work properly. How's that for Malaysian engineering?

This is a short article. Its not funny. I'm just reporting the news.

P.S; Get your act together, city council!

1 comment:

Jeremy W. said...

I'm sorry to here that. I hope that everything can be repaired. I just wonder why the tunnel didn't work. Shoty craftsman work maybe? Anyway, I'll be careful not to make the same mistakes as an engineer. Maybe I'll even work in Maylasia someday.