February 10, 2007

Don't worry. Be happy.

Wow! My tenth post. I would never have thought I would be disciplined enough to write 10 posts (see both failed MSN blogs). But here I am, alive and well for the first time since I came to this crazy country (the well part. I have always been alive.) But recently, I'm finding it more and more difficult to write something. It would seem, I was designed to be able to write 9 good articles. I guess you could say, I'm no Tom Clancy, or Stanley Bing. Don't know who those 2 are? Look them up.

Now that I have a lot of free time here, I have become pensive. My non-hectic schedule and frequent trips to the toilet has given me time to think about my surroundings. More to the point, the world. I fear, we, as humans, will always be worried.

During the Stone Ages, I'm sure people were worried about finding shelter, food, fire. Today, the 3 biggest concerns for teenagers as researched by some census company are, (and I saw this on TV, so it must be true) cars, cellphones, and computers. Not exactly up there with the worries our ancestors had to face those billions of years ago, is it?

Humans have never stopped worrying. During the Middle Ages, I'm sure the plague and the possibility of roasting in hell for the rest of eternity kept people from sleeping well.After that was the great crusades between Islam and Christianity. Way before that was the threat of Roman invasion. Then there were the Huns, the Vandals, the Visigoths, and so many other tribes. Asia wasn't safe either. Numerous internal wars in China did not help the country. Famines almost ruined China. These are examples of real things to keep real people awake at night.

How is it now? We are constantly bombarded with reports that coca-cola will cause mushrooms to grow in your mouth, handphones will give you brain cancer, and genetically modified foods will invade your system and make you grow another leg. Now everyone is afraid of the clash between the pope and Muslim clerics, even though both religions ask for peace. Before this, was the fear a suicide bomber would walk up your driveway and become a thin Vermeer on your wall. Before that, was the Y2K crisis, where we were told that at the stroke of midnight, planes will start falling from the sky, ships would crash into Singapore, all our money in banks would disappear overnight, and civilization itself, as we know it, would come to an end. What happened at the stroke of midnight? absolutely nothing.

I blame the media for this. The media, a body which is supposed to report the news, has taken it upon themselves to predict the news as well. If they get it right, the news anchorman would present the 6 o'clock news with a smug grin, and a 'I-told-you-so' attitude. If they get it wrong, there will be no mention of that fact on TV.

This is the reason I do not believe the recent environmental observation in Paris, where people predicted the end of humanity because we are drowning in our own shit they call 'global warming'. I doubt this global warming. I agree that there is climate change. For example, the sky could be bluer. The rain, chocolaty? Why not? Admitted the amount of CO2 in the air is higher then ever before, but that's because there are more people, then ever before. The amount of CO2 produced by humans is only 3%. Maybe that's enough to cause global warming, but maybe its not. Nobody really knows. If you ask me, 3% is an awfully small number. I know this because I am a student, and I have exams.

Honestly, I feel that this climate change is caused by nature. There are now more trees on earth then ever before. So, its not that. Its a well known fact that there was global warming during the Medieval Time Optimum, otherwise known as the Medieval Warm Period, started in 800AD and it lasted for 600 years, long before the invention of the automobile, the Airbus, or even General Electric. After that was the time period known as, The Little Ice Age. If analysts made their observations and conclusions based on the difference between the temperatures now, and that Ice Age, of course it would show temperatures rising. See how studies can be manipulated? Oh by the way, the Little Ice Age ended just before the Industrial Revolution. So its only easy to blame industry. And that's what they do.

I know, this fear will not impact me, for I am cynical to everything in the world I don't like. I know in the end, this will drive us to spend billions worldwide to reduce emissions. And, I know, this measure will not work, as I know, we are just in a climate cycle, as proven above.

But I am concerned by the fact that we are scaring the young children with something that is still up for debate. We will just be creating a generation of tree-hugging hippies, who don't work, because they are too busy planting more trees. There is perpetual fear that the world would be flooded. Is this the environment we want our children to grow up in?

Well, if I'm right, this problem will fix itself after about 500 years. If I'm wrong, well, we would have colonised Mars by then, wouldn't we?

1 comment:

hwen said...

It's a chain reaction. One thing leads to another. Same goes to pollution and worrying.