August 19, 2007

Meeting Old Friends; Part 1

I was looking forward to this gathering. Seven of us, the old gang. My old mates from Victoria Institution, (I use the full name out of respect to my old high school). Ah the times we had! Our discussions about girls. Our debates about comic books. The mutual understanding that we would all emigrate at the first chance we got.

I have known these guys for years, that's why I knew, when I called for us to meet at 10am in front of MPH Bookstore, realistically, it will be 11am before one of them arrived, usually with some dumb excuse. Even worse, one of them would have boarded the wrong train and would be taking the sights at Putrajaya.

As I waited for my friends, who may or may not show, I silently cursed at myself for leaving my iPod at home. I then swore to myself that I would never leave the house without it ever again.

I have always preferred The Coffee Bean to Starbucks. The wood on the walls, on the floor, even on the furniture has always struck me as being wonderfully classy. But as I sit here sipping away at a cup of iced caramel latte (RM12 plus tax), I'm not to sure anymore.

The coffee is disappointingly disgusting. Really, it tastes as though something has died in it. The only thing stopping me from throwing it away is the fact I will no longer be able to sit here and enjoy "You Look Wonderful Tonight" being painfully murdered for the 14th time. I think back to my past experiences with this coffee chain, and I am shocked to discover, while I never waste a drop of Starbucks, I have thrown away my Coffee Bean on 3 separate times.

Make it 4. I just seen Chai coming down the escalator.

No comments: